Interactively Visualizing a Large Manufacturing Schedule
Jaemin Jo, Jaeseok Huh, Jonghun Park, Bohyoung Kim, and Jinwook Seo / 2014
- Jaemin Jo, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
- Jaeseok Huh, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
- Jonghun Park, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
- Bohyoung Kim, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Yongin-si, Republic of Korea
- Jinwook Seo, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
In this paper, we introduce LiveGantt as a novel interactive schedule visualization tool that helps users explore highly-concurrent large schedules from various perspectives. Although a Gantt chart is the most common approach to illustrate schedules, currently available Gantt chart visualization tools suffer from limited scalability and lack of interactions. LiveGantt is built with newly designed algorithms and interactions to improve conventional charts with better scalability, explorability, and reschedulability. It employs resource reordering and task aggregation to display the schedules in a scalable way. LiveGantt provides four coordinated views and filtering techniques to help users explore and interact with the schedules in more flexible ways. In addition, LiveGantt is equipped with an efficient rescheduler to allow users to instantaneously modify their schedules based on their scheduling experience in the fields. To assess the usefulness of the application of LiveGantt, we conducted a case study on manufacturing schedule data with four industrial engineering researchers. Participants not only grasped an overview of a schedule but also explored the schedule from multiple perspectives to make enhancements.
Video Preview (25 seconds)
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant funded by the Korea government (MSIP) (No. 2011-0030813) and also supported by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (NRF-2013R1A1A3006706).
- Jaemin Jo, Jaeseok Huh, Jonghun Park, Bohyoung Kim, and Jinwook Seo, LiveGantt: Interactively Visualizing a Large Manufacturing Schedule, [PDF], IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG) and IEEE InfoVis 2014