A Novel Desktop Interface for Subtle Writing Using Decoy Texts
Sehi L'Yi, Kyle Koh, Jaemin Jo, Bohyoung Kim, and Jinwook Seo / 2016
- Sehi L'Yi, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
- Kyle Koh, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
- Jaemin Jo, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
- Bohyoung Kim, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Yongin-si, Republic of Korea
- Jinwook Seo, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
We present CloakingNote, a novel desktop interface for subtle writing. The main idea of CloakingNote is to misdirect observers’ attention away from a real text by using a prominent decoy text. To assess the subtlety of CloakingNote, we conducted a subtlety test while varying the contrast ratio between the real text and its background. Our results demonstrated that the real text as well as the interface itself were subtle even when participants were aware that a writer might be engaged in suspicious activities. We also evaluated the feasibility of CloakingNote through a performance test and categorized the users’ layout strategies.
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF) grant funded by the Korea government(MSIP) (No. NRF-2014R1A2A2A03006998).
- CloakingVideo is a Chrome extension for subtle video watching using the foreground match strategy discussed in the CloakingNote paper.
- Enjoy using CloakingVideo! - Move to Chrome Web Store